King Otto stalactite cave

As with most caves, chance also played a role in the discovery of the König Otto stalactite cave. The shepherd Peter Federl tracked down a fox, when it disappeared into the mountain, he followed it and discovered a mighty and beautiful stalactite cave. This happened on the name day of the Bavarian King Otto. The cave was developed and made accessible to visitors. For decades, it could only be viewed by candle, torch or magnesium light until it was electrically illuminated in 1954 and presented to visitors in all its glory. Thanks to the systematic search of two young members of the Nuremberg research group "Cave and Karst Franconia", Helmut Schlierf and Michael Kirnberger from Fürth, another part of the cave was discovered on December 2nd, 1972. It was a large, hall-like grotto with such an abundance of stalactites and variety of shapes that one can only speak of fairytale splendor. This natural monument, whose beauty can hardly be described, should not remain hidden.

St. Colomann 11
92355 Velburg
phone: 09182 / 446
opening hours
1. April - 31. October
Mon: day-off
Tue-Fri: 10:00-17:00 o'clock
Sat-Sun: 10:00-18:00 o'clock